- Drug Description: Abilify
- Generic Name: Aripiprazole [a-rip-i-PRAY-zole]
- Brand Name: Abilify
- Dosage Form: Oral tablet (various strengths)
- Drug Class: Atypical antipsychotic
What is Abilify?
Abilify (aripiprazole) is an atypical antipsychotic medication used to treat certain mental/mood disorders, such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and major depressive disorder.
- Elderly patients with dementia-related psychosis treated with antipsychotic drugs, including Abilify, are at an increased risk of death. Abilify is not approved for the treatment of dementia-related psychosis.
- Antidepressant medications, including Abilify, may increase the risk of suicidal thoughts and behavior in children, adolescents, and young adults. Close supervision by a healthcare professional is necessary during treatment.
- Inform your doctor about all your current medications, medical history, and any you start or stop using, as certain drugs and medical conditions may interact with Abilify.
- Abilify may cause drowsiness, dizziness, or blurred vision. Avoid driving or operating machinery until you know how Abilify affects you.
- Consult your doctor if you experience uncontrollable movements (tardive dyskinesia) of the face, tongue, or other body parts. This side effect may be irreversible in some cases.
- Contact your healthcare provider if you develop a fever, sweating, muscle stiffness, or changes in mental status while taking Abilify, as these may be signs of a rare but serious condition called neuroleptic malignant syndrome (NMS).
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or breastfeeding, as the effects of Abilify on unborn babies or nursing infants are not known.
Before Taking Abilify:
- Inform your doctor if you have a history of certain medical conditions, including heart problems, diabetes, low white blood cell count, seizures, low blood pressure, or a history of substance abuse.
- Provide a detailed list of all the medications you are currently taking, including prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, herbal products, and supplements, as they may interact with Abilify.
- If you have had allergic reactions to other antipsychotic medications, inform your doctor.
- It is essential to attend all scheduled appointments with your healthcare provider for proper monitoring and dosage adjustment.
How to Take Abilify:
- Follow your doctor's instructions and read the medication guide provided with Abilify.
- Take Abilify exactly as prescribed. Do not change the dosage or stop taking Abilify without consulting your doctor.
- Abilify can be taken with or without food.
- Swallow the tablet whole with a glass of water. Do not crush, chew, or break the tablet.
- If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you remember. However, if it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not double the dose to catch up.
- Store Abilify at room temperature, away from moisture and heat.
What Drugs Can Affect Abilify?
- Inform your doctor about all the medications you are currently taking, including prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, herbal products, and supplements.
- Some medications that may interact with Abilify include antidepressants, antifungal medications, blood pressure medications, certain antibiotics, and medications that affect the levels of certain brain chemicals.
- Your doctor will monitor your response to Abilify and adjust the dosage if necessary to prevent potential drug interactions.
Abilify Side Effects:
- Contact your doctor immediately if you experience signs of an allergic reaction, such as rash, itching, swelling, severe dizziness, or difficulty breathing.
- Report any new or worsening mental/mood changes, unusual behavior, or thoughts of suicide to your healthcare provider.
- Common side effects of Abilify may include nausea, vomiting, constipation, headache, dizziness, drowsiness, and weight gain.
- This is not a complete list of side effects. Consult your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You can also report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
- Keep Abilify and all medications out of reach of children.
- Do not share Abilify with others, as it is prescribed based on individual conditions.
- Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure that the information provided applies to your personal circumstances.